Friday, September 13, 2013

Blood and Bone Marrow Drive

In honor of Austin's one year anniversary of fighting Leukemia as well as to recognize September as National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, we teamed up with the Red Cross for a blood drive.  One of my co-workers, Lisa, helped coordinate with the Red Cross and we advertised in the hospital where Kevin and I work.  Several of my co-workers also volunteered to help out.  We couldn't have pulled this off without all these wonderful people and I can't thank them enough for their support.


Kevin's turn
 I also contacted Be the Match and they sent me some packets for people to swab their cheeks and be on the National Bone Marrow Registry.  This is close to my heart because if Austin does relapse in the future he will need a Bone Marrow transplant.  
Shaylyn manning the Bone Marrow Registry Table

Giving my blood
Some of my NICU family--these people are amazing
The blood drive was a great success!  The Red Cross had a goal of 16 successful donations and we were able to have 24.  Thanks so much to all those that donated.  I encourage everyone to donate regularly.   It is one of the truly selfless things that you can do for another person.  One donation can save up to 3 lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment