Friday, August 31, 2012

Day 1

A Visit from Elliot
They call it Day 1 because it is the first day on the treatment protocol.  The first Vincristine, one of the chemotherapy drugs, was given through Austin's port.  His hemoglobin was low so he needed a blood transfusion.  It was amazing to see the difference in how Austin felt before and after the blood.  Before, he was pale, tired, grumpy, and didn't want to do anything.  After the blood he was sitting up and wanted a milkshake and had a big smile.  Oh how I love that smile!!!  It lights up the room and makes everyone happy.  I want to say right here, just to put it out in the universe, how grateful I am to the person that donated the blood that Austin received.  I know I won't ever meet them or know who they are, but I am grateful for that little sacrifice that made such a difference to my little boy.  As a thank you on my part, and as a small "pay it forward", I will be donating my own blood as soon as I can.  I encourage all of you that read this to also donate blood, if you are able.  You won't miss it and it will possibly save the life of the one that receives it.



Getting blood and playing games on Dad's IPad

Blood and a milkshake--ah finally a smile!!



2 comments:

  1. That is a great idea! I will donate too, for your family and others that need it so desperately!!
    Go Austin!! You've GOT THIS!!!

    WinDee

    ReplyDelete